A legal career that has spanned over 40 years.
Currently specializes in areas involving legal ethics, professional responsibility and competence—including conflicts of interest, confidentiality, attorney-client relationships, attorney work-product issues, standards of practice, disqualification actions, fee disputes and legal malpractice.
Counsels in-house corporate lawyers who are faced with the special problems of providing legal services to an employer-client.
Continuing practice in corporate and regulatory law, primarily in administrative litigation before local and state tax authorities, public service commissions, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and related appellate courts.
Counsels companies in the areas of general corporate law, corporate and partnership governance and transactions, and property tax matters.
Grounded in a variety of land-use matters, having served as a Millcreek Township Planning Commissioner 2005-2011 (Chair 2007-09), as Chair of the Salt Lake County Board of Adjustment 2011-12, and currently as Administrative Law Judge for the City of Millcreek.
As a private pilot, serves as a Panel Attorney for the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association Legal Services program, representing clients in resolving matters related to the aviation industry, including FAA enforcement proceedings.
Prior to joining Jones Waldo in 1999, vice president and general counsel of Questar Corporation, having been with that company for 24 years.
University of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law, Salt Lake City, Utah, J.D., 1977, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, Ph.D. Mathematics, 1969, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana, B.S., 1961; M.S. Mathematics, 1962.
- Utah State Bar
- Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee, Chair, 1987-1989
- Ethics Advisory Opinion Committee, 1989-2006; Chair, 1993-2003
- Utah Supreme Court Advisory Committee on the Rule of Professional Conduct, 1993-present
- Arbitrator, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- Arbitrator (former), American Arbitration Association
- Distinguished Service Award, Utah State Bar, 2003
- Distinguished Committee Award, Utah State Bar Ethics Advisory Opinion Committee, 1994