From title transfers and applications with the Utah State Engineer to general adjudication work and litigation, Jones Waldo’s water law attorneys assist clients with all aspects of water rights ownership in Utah and surrounding states. We have experience representing water rights owners, developers, resource companies, lenders, governmental entities, and mutual water companies. In addition, we work closely with other professionals, such as engineers, hydrologists, appraisers, brokers, and others, to ensure that full value is added to our client’s water resource projects.
Water Rights Practice
Water Rights Attorneys
- Representing private mutual irrigation company in multi-million dollar sale of all water rights assets to municipality.
- Counsel to the Special Master in the General Determination of All of the Rights to the Use of Water, Both Surface and Underground, Within the Drainage Area of the Utah Lake and Jordan River in Utah, Salt Lake, Davis, Summit, Wasatch, Sanpete and Juab Counties.
- Negotiating and documenting purchase of all water rights needed for development of a research and development campus in Riverton, Utah.
- Investigating and documenting the water rights owned by a public utility company on a major interstate river system.
- Assisting in the formation of water companies and in the reorganization of historic irrigation companies by updating corporate documentation and water rights filings.
- Administrative proceedings before the Utah State Engineer relating to applications to appropriate, change applications, diligence right filings, water right titles, and protests.
- Litigation involving appeals form decisions of the State Engineer, general adjudications and quiet title actions.
- Advising clients on protecting and maximizing the marketability and value of their water rights.
- Negotiating, conducting due diligence investigations and documenting major commercial loans secured by water rights.
- Representing municipalities and service districts in water revenue-secured loan transactions.
- Acquiring water rights for servicing major commercial, industrial, agricultural, and residential developments.