Outdoor Sports Practice
Fortunately, they’re not alone in making this choice. Utah is home to all sorts of businesses revolving around the great outdoors. If you’re here to take advantage of Utah’s unique business and recreational opportunities, we can help. We’re one of Utah’s oldest and largest law firms and we offer specialized legal services for businesses and their employees. We are also comfortable outside our borders and have attorneys who speak Spanish, German, Japanese, French and other languages to help you when your business goes overseas.
Attorneys within Jones Waldo’s Outdoor Sports Practice Group have assisted ski resorts, tour companies, gear manufacturers, Olympic sport governing bodies, world-class athletes, and retailers do business for years. We represent a diverse range of enterprises, from closely-held start-ups to Fortune 500 companies. Whether you are making the gear, selling the gear, or using the gear, we can help you with industry insights and sound business counsel.
The Outdoor Sports Practice Group can help you with corporate organizations, mergers and acquisitions, employment issues, government compliance, real estate, distribution questions, intellectual property protection, sponsorship and licensing, event organization, risk management, and litigation before all courts and regulatory agencies. Our attorneys are experts in water law, taxation, resort development, personal injury litigation, patent prosecution, and environmental law.
We would like to discuss with you how we can provide legal services to help your business grow. Let us use our skills to help carry your company where you want to go. Kind of like Sherpas with briefcases.
Call or email any of us, and we’ll get you to the right lawyer to help you meet your challenge. You might have to try a couple of us on a powder day, but then again, what are you doing calling on a powder day?
Outdoor Sports Attorneys
- Represented the American, Norwegian, and Swiss Olympic teams in the 2002 Winter Olympics
- Helped to secure land and organize leasing and tenancy agreements for Dick’s Sporting Goods, a major US retailer of outdoor equipment and clothing
- Represented Browning, an international manufacturer of hunting and sporting arms in connection with the financing, licensing, export compliance, employment matters, personal injury defense, and intellectual property litigation
- Negotiated multi-million dollar sponsorship and licensing agreements for an Olympic National Governing Body
- Served as in-house counsel to a company with major holdings in outdoor real estate, including ski resorts such as Sun Valley
- Represented a nationally recognized resort developer in its acquisition and development of resort property in Deer Valley (Park City), Utah
- Represented a ski resort owner’s association in the development and management of its infrastructure, including a golf course
- Represented the United States as a delegate to the International Ski Federation’s Legal and Safety Committee
- Counseled sports bodies and athletes on compliance with the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act
- Represented an Olympic National Governing Body in Olympic Team arbitration prior to 1998, 2002, 2006 Winter Olympics
- Advised nonprofit corporation on creating an endowment to support its sport-related operations
- Helped to secure land for, and advise during the construction of an Olympic National Governing Body’s national training center
- Drafted revisions to the AAA rules on Olympic anti-doping arbitrations
- Negotiated television and internet broadcast agreements for a sports entity
- Drafted ethics, harassment, and conflict of interest policies for a sports entity
- Defended ski resorts in personal injury litigation
- Successfully litigated a large weather-related sports event cancellation claim against an international insurer