Jones Waldo’s Tax Practice Group has a strong tradition of more than 120 years advising businesses, individuals, attorneys, accountants, donors, and nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations nationwide. The Tax Practice Group advises and provides services to clients covering the full range of federal, state, and local tax issues, including:
- Formation and operation of partnerships, limited liability companies (LLCs), C corporations, S Corporations, nonprofit corporations, and low-profit limited liability companies (L3Cs);
- Sophisticated corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, tax-free and taxable reorganizations, tax-free spin-offs, sales, and joint ventures;
- Real estate transactions, including 1031 like-kind exchanges, real estate investment trust-related transactions, and issues involving the prevention of dealer status;
- Charitable organizations and private foundations;
- Representing taxpayers before the IRS, and in tax litigation in federal and state court;
- Payroll/Employment taxes;
- Tax matters that involve civil or potential criminal penalties; and
- State and local tax matters, including:
- Corporate income and franchise taxes;
- Individual income taxes, including residency planning;
- Sales and use tax nexus and licensing;
- Employment taxes;
- Real property taxes;
- Personal property taxes; and
- Motor fuel and use taxes.
For companies operating in multiple states, managing the impact of state and local taxes is critical in the current enforcement and business environment. States continue to face budget deficits, and state taxing authorities are aware of the shortfall. Consequently, the need to be prepared for and the ability to react to ever changing tax environments is vital for businesses and individuals to be able to mitigate risk and find opportunities to drive organizational value. This is especially true for tax departments now. The relatively recent U.S. Supreme Court decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc., upending decades of sales and use tax nexus standards, is a timely example.
Whether we are restructuring a transaction to minimize adverse tax consequences, handling a multi-state tax controversy, or consulting on any number of technical tax issues, our goal is to ensure results consistent with each client’s definition of value and success.