About Jones Waldo and the Litigation Department
One of Utah’s premier law firms, Jones Waldo has a full-service commercial litigation department that has been recognized by Chambers USA; America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. With more than 40 accomplished lawyers that handle a broad spectrum of cases in state and federal courts, our commercial litigation practice includes work in the following areas relevant to business: intellectual property, contracts, creditor rights in bankruptcy, real estate property and lease disputes, non-compete agreements, nondisclosure agreements, insurance, employment matters, and, employee benefits.
As a member of this department, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with our litigators to provide superior legal services, and act as litigation counsel for a large number of national and international corporations and assist in representing a wide variety of clients in all areas of commercial and business law.
Many department litigators have also transitioned successfully to judgeships, demonstrating the experience and skill in law kindled within the firm. Six current sitting judges moved directly from the firm’s litigation department to the bench, one serving on the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. Jones Waldo litigators have also served as Justice of the Utah Supreme Court, Utah Attorney General, Utah Solicitor General, and in the Utah State Legislature. One of the firm’s former litigators served as Utah’s only three-term governor from 1960 to 1976
The Salt Lake City office of Jones Waldo seeks an associate with 4 – 6 years of experience in complex commercial litigation for an immediate full-time opening in its Litigation Department to support partners handling litigation and trials of business disputes in state, federal, and bankruptcy courts, and arbitration forums in multiple jurisdictions.
The Litigation Departments active caseload provides significant opportunities for professional growth and early responsibility over complex litigation matters.
Skills Needed to be Effective in this Role
The below serves to describe our ideal team member, if you have many of these skills, and are eager and willing to learn, we welcome you to apply.
- Significant experience as both lead and support counsel appearing in courts and arbitral forums
- Strong working knowledge of rules of civil procedure, arbitral rules and local court rules in Utah and ability to proficiently adapt to rules of civil procedure and local rules in other jurisdictions
- Strong advocacy skills orally and in writing;
- Excellent communication skills with litigation teams, court personnel, co-counsel and local counsel, clients, opposing counsel, expert witnesses and other parties in litigation.
- Ability to initiate, prepare and respond to written discovery and disclosures and to take and defend experience-appropriate depositions and examinations;
- Creative problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively with litigation teams
- Ability to adapt work schedule to shifting and unpredictable workload requirements and short deadlines
- Strong advocacy writing skills
- Self-starter with skills in assessing and executing on tasks to support the litigation effort;
- Ability to work with complex issues
- Ability to organize, evaluate and manage documents through data bases and document management programs
- Results driven orientation to client service
- Strong mediation and negotiation skills
- Membership in Utah State Bar in good standing or ability to become admitted
What You Will Learn as a Part of Our Team
We offer unique opportunities to enhance your legal skills and help move your career trajectory forward such as motion and brief writing, arguing discovery and/or dispositive motions, analyzing complex situations, and learning innovative strategies when handling several matters.
At Jones Waldo, we strive to create a culture where we make mentoring new generations of attorneys to continue our commitment to excellence, integrity, and diversity a priority. At the same time creating a positive work environment where our attorneys are productive, healthy, and happy.
While sharpening your legal skills, you will also be a valuable member of our litigation team.
Benefits at Jones Waldo
Jones Waldo offers a robust benefits package that includes a competitive salary and benefits including:
- Clearly defined partnership track criteria
- Clearly defined bonus programs
- Medical insurance
- Paid holidays
- Training opportunities
- Parental/pregnancy leave
- Financial stability
- Bar memberships fees
- Continuing Legal Education
- Firm social events
- Collegial and supportive working environment
What We Are Doing to Create a Diverse, Equitable, and Inclusive Work Environment
Jones Waldo is committed to creating a more diverse and inclusive workplace. We are implementing new approaches to attract and retain lawyers and staff with different backgrounds and life experiences.
To understand our diverse workforce, and how we should design initiatives to advance the firm’s diversity and inclusion goals, our Executive Committee and Board collaborate with our Diversity and Inclusion Committee. These groups continue to develop our set of diversity and inclusion metrics to hold the firm accountable to its goals. Jones Waldo is dedicated to improving the diversity both within our firm, and the legal profession.